Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Bipolar, ADHD and Depression

Both people with bipolar disorder and those with ADHD often experience depression. This depression may be primary–i.e. due to biochemical reasons the individual becomes depressed without apparent reason–or secondary–i.e. due to external forces such as relationship or work issues. Both primary and secondary forces can work together to exacerbate the depression as has been my case with my latest major depressive episode.

Lately, there has been a lot of advertising on electronic and print media touting anti-depressants. I, personally, don't have experience with taking anti-depressants, but when I'm battling deep depression I sometimes wish I could take something more that would help me out of it. Unfortunately for those with bipolar disorder, anti-depressants can have serious negative side effects: They can bring on hypomanic, manic, and mixed affective states and can cause rapid cycling. (The Bipolar Disorder Survivor Guide, David J. Miklowitz Ph.D., 2002)

To make matters worse, even after negating the side-affects of anti-depressants, there are some clinical studies that show that they are not the panacea the ads purport. (I'd love to hear from those who have taken anti-depressants with good affect.)

For more information on antidepressants, see this informative article on depression medication.

As always, consult your medical professional before making any change to your medication regimen.

No comments:

Post a Comment