Friday, December 11, 2009

Reasons to Live

When we are depressed, it can be difficult to remember the reasons we have to live. The following are some of the reasons that I keep in mind when I have those uncomfortable thoughts creeping into my head. It's a bit of a taboo subject but with some 30,000 cases of suicides annually in the United States, we cannot afford to keep this hidden. (That doesn't take into account the fact that there are 30 to 50 times as many attempted suicides as there are actual suicides.)

  1. I have a responsibility and commitment to my family.
  2. I believe I can learn to adjust to, or cope with, my problems.
  3. I want to watch my children as they grow.
  4. No matter how bad I feel, I know that it will not last.
  5. I am afraid of death.
  6. I love and enjoy my family and could not leave them.
  7. It would not be fair to leave the children for others to take care of.
  8. The effect on my children could be harmful.
  9. It would hurt my family too much and I would not want them to suffer.
  10. I am afraid that the method of killing myself would fail.
  11. I consider it morally wrong.
  12. I would not want my family to feel guilty afterward.

Source: Linehan, et al(PDF)

No comments:

Post a Comment